Saturday, March 21, 2009

mea culpa

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". To emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

The origin of the expression is from a traditional prayer in the Mass of the Roman Catholic Church known as Confiteor (Latin for "I confess")[1], in which the individual recognizes his or her flaws before God.

In the popular vernacular, the expression "mea culpa" has acquired a more direct meaning, in which, by doing or performing a "mea culpa", someone admits to having made a mistake by one's own fault (meaning that it could have been avoided if that person had been more diligent).

(Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_culpa)

Andy Levy the ombudsman for FOX Red Eye explained this phrase is the Latin for the modern vernacular of "My Bad" :)

No comments: